Saturday 13 August 2011

The smallest things help you climb mountains

I recieved an email several months ago from an amazing woman who's son had a stroke at 2 weeks of age. He is now 2 years old and doing so many things that doctors never thought he would. It's not often I hear stories of other babies who've had strokes and I was heartened to hear from her. She concluded her message saying that "the smallest things help you climb mountains". Never before have I heard such truer words. Sometimes it's hard to keep going with physio when it doesn't seem to be helping. But last night I had a small victory. Whilst I was feeding Max his dinner (a dubious invention of mine called 'Strawberry Surprise'), he reached out and grabbed the spoon with his RIGHT hand. He then shoved the spoon up his nose and almost poked his eye out with it but it didn't matter, he used his right hand! It's small victories like this that keep me strong and keep me going. I've been focusing more physio lately on his right hand, massaging it LOTS (even during 2am feeds) and constantly reminding him that it's there. I would do it even if it didn't help. But seeing even the
tiniest improvement helps me to keep going.

1 comment:

  1. Wow keep going little man you are amazing!!

    I am glad that email from someone so special honest and strong helped you

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete